Roads Not Taken…Or Not Yet
Welcome to the seventh installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed here. Check out other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!
This month’s topic comes to us from CrazyKinux himself, and he asks: “What 3 things haven’t you done in EVE and why? Would you be willing to try one day? Why so? Why not?”
. . .
Erbo Evans, speaking mainly for myself on this one. (I will encourage Selena and others to post as well.)
Oh, I’m absolutely certain that there are more than three things I haven’t done in EVE; however, I am limited by the call to discussing three of them. So I’ll do a quick overview:
#1: Done serious operations in 0.0 space. Mainly, I just don’t know enough to keep myself safe in those circumstances. I need more skills, more practice at fitting, and more knowledge of strategies and tactics for staying alive in a land where you can be ganked in a split second, for any reason or none, and with no possible source of recourse or even sympathy. Now, I’ve visited 0.0 space, briefly; I documented my flight into N-RAEL in the Great Wildlands, and my narrow escape while busting a gatecamp on the way back into Empire. I now have better ships for such a task, chiefly the Helios covert ops frigate Amaranth. Then, too, we’re near Providence where we are right now, and CVA, who holds that region, is well-known for its liberal policy in letting people fly there as long as they don’t stir up trouble. And, of course, wormhole space is 0.0 by definition. So this will probably happen at some point, as the rewards are certainly commensurate with the risks; just give it time.
#2: Taken up a career in piracy. Surprising, for the number of EVE blogs I follow written by pirates! (I rationalize that the same way I rationalize reading 2600 magazine; it’s useful to know what the “black hats” are thinking.) As nice as some of those folks sound when they write, I have no doubt that, if I were to run across them while they were on a roam, they would slag my ship without a second thought, if they could. My main defense, therefore, is to be somewhere else. 🙂 The reason I wouldn’t try my hand at yarrin’ is the same as the reason I haven’t done it, aside from the whole “inexperience” issue; I know how upset I’d get if some SOB whacked a ship I’d spent a ton of ISK on to get fitted and working the way I wanted it, and I’m unwilling to inflict that kind of hurt on somebody else. What would it take for me to overcome that barrier? I’d probably have to be faced with a greater threat, like that one can-tipping bastard we took on in Aderkan. (We didn’t blow him up, but we made him turn tail and run.)
#3: Gotten involved in CSM politics. There have been, I think, two CSM elections now since I joined EVE. I didn’t vote in either of them, because I knew nothing about the candidates or the issues involved, and was too busy trying to understand the world I was now in to be concerned with such things. The third election is soon to be upon us, and I really need to make the effort to at least vote this time around. Apparently the CSM has done great things for EVE, and I’d like to keep a closer eye on what they do. And, one day, might you see Erbo declare his own candidacy for the Council? Stranger things have happened…and I’ve been described as a “natural politician” by some people. If it happens, though, it’s likely to be years from now. If I do, though, I’m likely to use the Ralpha Dogs’ tagline as part of my campaign:
“Wrought in deepest Hell, our vengeance is freedom!”
. . .
Other articles published from around the EVE Blogosphere (links will be updated here as new posts are added):
- CrazyKinux’s Musing, EVE Blog Banter #7: Eh, nobody told me you could do this in EVE!
- One Man and His Spaceship, Blog Banter 7 – Expanding My Horizon
- I am Keith Neilson, EVE Blog Banter #7 – What do you want to do today?
- Rifter Drifter, Blog Banter 7: Trinity
- Roc’s Ramblings, Blog Banter #7 – The me I am not
- Morphisat’s Blog, Eve Blog banter #7 – Treading waters unknown
- Sweet Little Bad Girl, Blog Banter 7 – Roads Not Followed
- A Mule in EvE, DD, defend against a gank & POS gunning
- Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah, Choices
- The Wandering Druid of Tranquility, “One, Two, Three…three things….hahahahaha”
- The Ralpha Dogs, Roads Not Taken… Or Not Yet
- Melindhra’s Universe, EVE Blog Banter #7 – Where no one has gone before
- Life in Low Sec, Blog Banter #7: Possibilities
- EVE Guru, EVE Blog Banter 7
- Diary of a Pod Pilot, [OOC] EVE Blog Banter #7: Stones left unturned
- Flashfresh – The Pirate, EVE Blog Banter #7: This isn’t me…
- Nefchast’s Gaming Blog, CrazyKinux’s EVE Blog Banter #7
- A Merry Life and a Short One, EVE Blog Banter #7: Syphilis Doesn’t Count
- Rip Lacunae, Past & Future (Eve Blog Banter 7)
- Broadside, EVE Blag Banter #7: aspiration
- Into the Unknown, Eve Blog Banter #7: What haven’t I done?
- Diary of a Space Jokey, Blog Banter #7: So much to do, so little time
- Life, the Universe and everything, Blog Banter#7: Just Three?
- Discovering EVE, EVE Blog Banter #7: Things I haven’t done in EVE
- Achernar, To live a bit more of it